Is your Teen looking for a fun water based sport for this summer? This high-energy Competitive Team Program will focus on sprint technique, strength training, and speed paddling.
A great sport for kids who enjoy the independence of solo-paddling but also enjoy the camaraderie of working on a team.
Suitable for paddlers aged 12-16. No previous paddling experience required but novice paddlers may benefit from taking the Recreational program first to build up skill using the boats and stamina.
Athletes will learn both Canoe & Kayak skills and train in single (C1/K1), doubles (C2/k2) and team boats (C4).
Paddlers will be training for competitive sprint paddling; if interested, athletes will have the opportunity to attend Regattas or BC Summer Games.
What to Expect
This is a seven (7) week program with five (5) hours of training per week.
• Practices run every Wednesday 6pm-8pm (2hrs) and Saturday 9am-12pm (3hrs) at the Camp Hughes West Lake beach.
• Practice consists of dry-land and on-water exercises & training.
• Athletes are expected to arrive 10 mins early to assist with unloading paddling gear and ensuring their equipment is in safe working order.
• All paddlers are expected to participate in 1 fundraising / volunteering event over the Program period.
• Athlete's Parent(s) are expected to volunteer for one Wednesday and one Saturday practice as "Beach Safety Officer" over the Program period.
What To Bring
• All Athletes require their own life-jacket. All other gear (paddle, canoe/kayak, safety equipment) is provided by the club.
• During practices, athletes should have water, snacks, dry/warm clothes, towels, rain gear, swim gear, sunscreen and other personal items as needed.
• Additional program information and waivers will be emailed upon registration.
• $315 for 7 Weeks
• Use of Paddles and Canoe/Kayak included
• Membership / Insurance included
Notes about Programming
• Practice are generally not cancelled due only to rain. However if the conditions are not considered safe, (air quality due to fire, severe wind, lightning etc), at the club's discretion, practices will be "made-up" on another day. There are no refunds if the Athlete is unable to attend a regular session or a make-up session.
Age Range for Paddling
• Age Ranges are not fixed - the ages have been selected both for the type of programming and the expectation for endurance.
• Think about your child's endurance capacity and stamina when registering.